The Duke’s Own Pride and Joy..
- Colonel: Sir Arthur de Lisle (Bart.)
- Adjutant: Capt. Arthur Normanton-Turville
- Garrisoned: Gracedieu Barracks, Loughborough.
- Nickname(s): The Duke’s Babies, The Big Heads.
- Motto(s): Magis Quam Spem in Spem (In hope rather than expectation).
- Marches: “Grenadiers of the Duke”, “It’s a Long Way to Sutton Cheney”.
- Battle Honours: Nanpanton (1708), Melton Mowbray (1720), Siege of Derby (1745), Cannock Chase (1758).
The 1st Regiment of Foot (Charnwood Grenadiers) are the most senior of the Duchy’s infantry regiments. Their appearance is said to bear an uncanny resemblance to this regiment of the Saxon army (below):